Monday, May 30, 2016

Getting to Know You Series


Featuring Amie Santana Hudson, President and VBE

 
Husband, Michael, and Johnny
Hi I’m Amie, the Co-Founder of this group and President of this chapter of Babywearing International. A little about myself; I’m married to a soldier who is stationed at Ft.Riley, but I’m a Manhattan local. I went to grade school through my first year of college here. We have three children: Johnny 9, Michael 4, and Karina 2 and two dogs Cosmo & Pixie. Besides babywearing, my hobbies include reading, decorating cakes, and knitting.

 

When we were stationed at JBLM in Washington State, I saw quite a few moms with their babies in wraps all around the post and town. So when we got pregnant with Michael I knew I wanted to babywear and I got a Moby. Oh my! I was overwhelmed by all the fabric, but with the help of YouTube and my husband we figured out how to use our Moby with Michael. Shortly later I discovered my local babywearing group and submersed myself to learn all the knowledge. Michael was a big baby and by 6mo had pretty much outgrown the Moby and was constantly sagging so I got my very first wrap conversion ring sling and my first woven wrap. The local babywearing leaders taught me to how to ruck and I was hooked! The rest is history.

 

 Karina and I
When we PCS’ed back to Manhattan I was pregnant with Karina and sad to leave such an awesome and close knit community. I started chatting with Sabrina, a local mom in the Kansas Crunchy Moms group, and expressed how much I missed my babywearing group. Sabrina and I started Flint Hills Babywearers and that’s how this group got started! We began holding very informal meetings and a small library was started from donations from our awesome members. I met Michelle and Emily and saw how great they were with caregivers and asked if they would like to join us as leaders. Emily and I went on to affiliate our group with Babywearing International and become VBE’s to help spread our love of wearing our babies close. I love this group, meeting and helping caregivers has been an awesome experience I never envisioned for myself and I’m so happy that I get to do this. So feel free to come say “Hi!” when you see me at a meeting or in public. I can’t wait to meet you and help you on your babywearing journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment